Hunting is an activity in human civilization that has been around for a long time. Initially, hunting was essential for survival as it was among the primary sources of food. In contemporary times, hunting is an activity that most people take up for the thrill of the hunt. Different gear is available to facilitate this activity. The assortments that are available for hunting gear range from guns to knives. Over years, technology has made it possible for manufacturers to design the best hunting knives. Currently, it is possible to find a variety of hunting knives that are multi-purpose.
5 Best Hunting Knife: Editor’s Pick
For an enthralling hunting experience, one has to have the appropriate gear. When hunting with knives, it is advisable for one to research and acquire a blade that is ideal for them. There are numerous elements that one must consider when buying a knife for hunting. Hunting knife reviews on the internet is an excellent place to find guidance.[toc]
Best Hunting Knife Review:
1. KA-BAR Becker BK2 Companion Fixed Blade Knife
- Full tang heavy duty field knife suited for camping chores.
- Made in Olean New York, U.S.A
- Designed by Ethan Becker
A product of the KA-BAR company, the BK2 knife is among knives that experts recommend for camping, hiking and hunting activities. This product is among popular hunting knives yet. It is ideal for the camper and hunter alike due to the quality of material used. Also, the craft for this knife is top-notch, increasing its life span. This aspect makes it ideal for the regular camper, hiker, or both.
Consultation for this design was done by Ethan Baker. He is a recognized survivalist, chef, and mountain climber. His input played a crucial role in making sure that the product was ideal for survival in the woods.
- Weight – the KA-BAR BK2 companion fixed blade knife weighs one point five pounds. The bulk it carries makes it hard to use for small tasks.
- Angle – this knife has a twenty-degree handle, which increases its efficiency of slashing through stuff.
- Material – the different parts of this product are of diverse mater. The handle is made using a hard but light plastic material known as Zytel. Glass and nylon are the components making up the sheath while the blade is of carbon steel.
- Thickness – this knife has a quarter-inch blade. This feature gives one surety that the knife when in use has no chances of breaking or bending.
- Dimensions – the length of the knife is 10-5/8 inches. The blade takes up five and a quarter inches of the height while the tang takes a quarter of an inch.
2. Gerber Bear Grylls Ultimate Knife, Serrated Edge
- Partially serrated blade is made of high carbon stainless steel for...
Combine effort between two famous brands in the outdoor adventure realm led to the production of the Gerber Bear Grylls ultimate knife with a serrated edge. This full tang knife is ideal for various outdoor activities thanks to its half serrated edge. Cutting ropes are among tasks that one will have an easy time with this product in hand.
- Size – this knife is four point eight inches long.
- Handle – the Gerber Bear Grylls ultimate knife has a rubber handle enhancing its abilities as a survival product for the outdoors. At the butt end of this knife, there is a metal cap whose design enables hammering.
- Sheath – plastic, and nylon are the components that make up the sheath of this knife. Friction is what holds the knife in place once the blade locks in the plastic sleeve. A diamond stone on the rear side of the plastic sleeve is an addition that allows users to sharpen their knife.
- Material – bits, and pieces used in the making of this product include; stainless steel for the blade, rubber for the handle, and plastic and nylon for the sheath.
- Weight – the sum mass of the knife including all the parts it comes with is fourteen point seven two ounces. This weight makes it easy to carry the knife around with the Velcro tapping incorporated for easy carrying.
This product comes with additional features such as the whistle attached to the handle, and a fire starter provision which comes in handy when hunting or camping.
3. Buck Knives 119 Special Fixed Blade Knife with Leather Sheath
Buck Knives is a company with a solid reputation that has been operating in this realm since 1902. Products from this company are top-tier including the 119 special fixed blade knives that come with a leather sheath. This product is made in the USA using suitable quality materials and artistry hence, durable. This type of knife is right for detail work, accessing tight places for a cut, and piercing stuff.
- Weight – the heaviness of this knife is what makes it ideal for camping and hunting activities. It weighs seven point five ounces making it easy to carry around.
- Sheath – the carry system is made of genuine leather and is black. It comes with a snap fastener compatible with clothing, allowing for easy carrying of the knife.
- Length – the overall dimension for this knife is twenty-six point seven centimeters.
- Blade – Edge retention is among the top qualities of models from this manufacturer. The blade stretches fifteen point two centimeters with a thickness of point one seven five inches. 420HC steel is the material that makes up this part of the knife. The tip has a crescent shape that makes this part of the knife thinner and the point sharper.
- Handle – this part of the knife comes with a design ideal for grip. This product has palm swells allow for comfort during use. The materials phenolic and an aluminum pommel make up this part. They enhance the aesthetic value of the knife, as well as balance.
4. MTech USA Ballistic MT-A845 Series Spring Assist Folding Knife
- Spring Assisted Knife
- 3.75 inch 3.5mm Thick Blade, Stainless Steel
- Black Blade With Thumb Stud
MTECH USA is the company that manufactures the ballitic MT-A845 series spring knife that folds, making it pocket-friendly and easy to carry around. Deployment for this blade is one-handed and easy. A liner lock locks the blade in place once it is released.
- Blade – this part of the knife is made using stainless steel. It is three-point seven five inches long and three-point five millimeters thick. A thumb stud is an additional functional feature that allows for faster deployment of the blade.
- Weight – weighing eight ounces is a quality that makes this knife ideal for outdoor adventures. This feature, coupled with others that the knife possesses, serves to elevate the usefulness of the product.
- Size – the knife measures five inches when folded. When open the additional three point seven five inches from the blade totals the total length to eight point seven five.
- Handle – it is made of aluminum material and has a cut-out design that serves both aesthetic and functional purposes. Additionally, the handle has a glass breaker and a provision for a seat belt cutter.
- Dexterity – this knife is appropriate for right-handed people. This feature is essential to consider for people who use their left hand for primary tasks. Difficulty in handling is among challenges that they will encounter if they choose to buy it irrespective of the artistry.
5. Morakniv Companion Fixed Blade Outdoor Knife
- Versatile fixed-blade outdoor knife with a 4. 1-inch hardened Sandvik 12C27...
- High-quality Swedish steel is razor sharp and exceptionally tough;...
- Patterned, high-friction grip sits comfortably in the hand, for greater...
Moraknive Companion Spark is a company with steady footing in the knife production industry. It is among companies that get recognition across the globe for their designs ideal for hunting and camping. The quality of knives from this manufacturer has high ratings from different consumers. The fixed blade outdoor knife from them comes in different colors. This feature allows users to pick their favorite color to match other paraphernalia for their outdoor activity.
- Blade – the blade is of hardened Sandvik stainless steel. The material makes it appropriate for the outdoors as it is rust-resistant and maintains edge sharpness for extended periods. The blade length is four-point one inches with a point one-inch thickness.
- Handle – this knife has a handle that is patterned to allow for a sturdy grip. This type of handle makes work easier for the user, especially in wet and cold conditions.
- Length – the overall size of the knife is two hundred and eighteen millimeters.
- Weight – the total mass of this product is four-point one ounces with the sheath on. It is, therefore ideal for many outdoor and adventure activities.
- Sheath – the sheath comes with a selection regarding color. It has a built-in drain hole and a sturdy belt clip. These elements are among those that make this product a proper survival knife.
- Warranty – the company that produces this knife offers a limited lifetime warranty.
6. Morakniv Companion Fixed Blade Outdoor Knife with Sandvik Stainless
- Versatile fixed-blade outdoor knife with a 4. 1-inch hardened Sandvik 12C27...
- High-quality Swedish steel is razor sharp and exceptionally tough;...
- Patterned, high-friction grip sits comfortably in the hand, for greater...
This product from Morakniv Companion Spark is among those that get recognition in the outdoor industry due to many reasons. This knife bears similarities to others in the same category from the Swedish company. The design has qualities that make it ideal for hunting, camping, and an array of other outdoor activities. Cutting tinder, food preparation, and carving are among things that one can use the knife for. The Morakniv Companion fixed outdoor blade knife made in Sweden comes with a lifetime limited warranty.
- Sheath – this part of the knife comes in a military green color with a matching belt clip. The material is hard plastic.
- Blade – stainless steel is the material that makes this part of the knife. It is highly resistant to cold and moisture and retains the sharpness.
- Mass – this knife weighs one hundred and sixteen grams.
- Size – the blade length is four-point one inches while that of the knife, in general, is eight point six. This size makes this knife easy to move with when hiking, camping, and fishing, among other activities. It also makes it ideal for multiple tasks.
- Handle – it is made of rubber with patterns for ease of grip. Both ends of the handle are hard plastic. The rubber is in the middle part of the handle where one holds. Safety, control, and performance are among the many benefits that users get to enjoy from this product.
7. Kershaw Clash Black Serrated Pocket Knife
- 3.1" 8Cr13MoV stainless steel blade with black-oxide finish for excellent...
- Textured Glass-filled nylon handle scales offer a solid grip with Gentle...
- Drop-point, partially serrated blade is perfect for tackling everyday tasks...
A product of Kershaw Knives, the black serrated knife is among the finest in the industry. The company is known for producing knives that are of high quality and efficient. This knife is a folding pocket one and has a variety of uses. The flipper to this knife is ambidextrous, hence can be used by left and right-handed individuals. The speed safe assisted opening mechanism enhances safety for users. It also allows for one-hand deployment.
- Blade – it is made of different types of materials. Chines steel is the first product that builds the model. The other elements that make the edge are carbon and nickel. The finishing of this knife’s blade adds fine media to the surface of the blade. It serves both an aesthetic purpose and a functional one. The exceptional elements used to finish the edge are glass and aluminum oxide beads.
- Handle – glass and nylon are the materials making the handle. Threads of glass on the handle increases the strength and grip support. Wear resistance, and the ability to withstand heat is among the top qualities for this knife’s handle.
- Length – this product measures five point two by one point three point four inches.
- Weight – the sum mass of this knife is sixty-eight grams.
- Flipper – the Kershaw black clash serrated knife comes with a flipper to help users deploy the blade.
8. Gerber Freeman Guide Folding Knife, Fine Edge, Drop Point [31-000591]”]
Technological inventions and advancements have made it possible for companies such as Gerber to design products that are convenient and able to solve problems. The Freeman guide folding knife has a host of benefits that one will find useful for hunting expeditions, and camping among other activities. This knife is made to withstand harsh climatic conditions. It is made in the United States of America by experts in the field.
- Weight – this folding knife is light in bulk weighing six point six ounces. It is ideal for backpackers, hunters, and campers, etc. due to this feature.
- Length – when it is open, this knife measures eight point one inches. This figure cuts down to four point five when folded. The blade is easy to carry around especially for hunters and backpackers.
- Blade – the part makes up three-point six inches of the knife’s length. The blade is of steel with an elegant edge. Steel blades have a longer life span and edge retention, making it ideal for individuals who engage in activities requiring the knife often.
- Sheath – it is made using nylon hence, wear-resistant. The knife is made with top-notch materials that allow it to last longer, and the sheath is among essential parts that get priority.
- Handle – comfort and security are readily provided for users by the handle, which is made of high-quality materials. The finger grooves are large to give room for proper hold. A tachide onlay enhances the overall quality of the handle.
9. Buck Knives 192 Vanguard Fixed Blade Knife with Leather Sheath
- RAZOR SHARP & VERSATILE- 4-1/8" Drop Point 420HC Steel Blade delivers...
- SOLID BUILD, SMART DESIGN - Full Tang Construction with Integrated Finger...
- COMFORTABLE GRIP AND BALANCE - Classic Heritage Walnut Handle with...
Buck Knives is a company in the knife making business that has been in the industry for over a century. Excellent quality materials and craftsmanship are among merits of acquiring products from this manufacturer. The Vanguard fixed blade knife is among knives from this company that has garnered recognition from many users. This knife is suitable for heavy tasks due to its build. Buyers get a forever warranty when they buy this knife.
Blade – the cutting edge is full-bellied and made of 420HC steel blade. This blade does not corrode; it retains the side well and is sturdy. It is designed to carry out heavy tasks involved in hunting among other outdoor performances.
- Handle – the vanguard fixed blade knife has a walnut handle with contours to allow for a firm grip. Balance is another element that the design of the handle offers.
- Weight – this knife weighs eight ounces. It is easy to carry around and use for an array of tasks. Hunters will find multiple functions that they can engage in with this product.
- Length – the knife has measurements of six inches by one inch. The blade makes up about four inches of the overall dimension.
- Sheath – the sheath is of leather material that is highly durable and genuine. Using the snap fastener, one can carry the knife around easily on the belt.
10. ESEE Knives 4P Fixed Blade Knife w/Handle and Molded Polymer Sheath
- Overall Length: 9.0"
- Blade Length: 4.1"
- Weight: 8.0 oz.
The 4P fixed blade knife is a product of ESEE by Jeff Randall and Mike Perrin. The design of the various features makes it perfect as a survival, bushcraft, and tactical knife. It requires the user to be hands-on regarding maintenance to keep it in good shape. Cleanliness and lubrication are the two ways to ensure that this knife has a long life span. The warranty lasts a lifetime for anyone who purchases this knife.
- Dimensions – the knife has an overall length on nine inches. The blade measures four point five inches in total.
- Blade -The blade has a thickness of point one nine inches. The cutting edge is for point one inch long — the material used to make this part if 1095 steel. The downside to the type of material used is that it will stain and rust when not properly cared for. Materials that are rub inhibitors are best for storing this knife.
- Handle – the handles for this knife are micarta and are removable. The design of the handle gives the user a sturdy hold of the knife in all situations.
- Sheath – this part is made of polymer and protects the knife from rusting. It also avails safety for the hunter, camper, or soldier as they move around with this knife.
- Weight – the knife alone weighs seven point four-five ounces. Users can carry this knife with them wherever they go with no hassle on bulk.
11. Buck Knives 124 Frontiersman Fixed Blade Knife with Leather Sheath
- RAZOR SHARP BLADE- 6-1/4" Straight-back Bowie 420HC Steel Blade has...
- SOLID BUILD, SMART DESIGN - Full Tang Construction with Integrated Finger...
- SAFE AND SECURE GRIP - Black Micarta Handle has curves and palm swells for...
Buck Knives is a company operating in the USA. It has been in the business for the long term and is known for its excellent quality knives. The 124 Frontiersman fixed blade knife is among their creations that has amassed a huge fan base among hunters, campers, soldiers, and many other groups of people. The craft and materials they use to make their knives are top-tier. Longevity, comfort, and safety are among the merits of buying from this manufacturer.
- Blade – it is razor-sharp and made of 420HC stainless steel. This material is among the best in knife production as it does not corrode. Its ability for edge retention and strength is noteworthy.
- Design– this knife ha a full tang construction. The handle has a deep choil and finger guard helping this product establish dominance among the best hunting knives.
- Handle – the handle has a black micarta scales design for quality grip. The aluminum pommel creates an excellent environment for balance.
- Sheath – the 124 frontiersman knife comes with a leather sheath with a snap fastener; therefore, the knife can be carried on the belt safely and securely. Carrying it on the belt allows the user easy access when the need arises.
- Weight – the mass of this product is thirteen point three ounces. It is appropriate for different groups of people and an assortment of uses.
12. ESEE Knives 5P Fixed Blade Knife w/Kydex Sheath
ESEE has been able to gain a good reputation in the knife manufacturing industry due to their persistence in developing top-notch products. The 5P fixed blade knife is among their popular design that cuts across multiple sectors. The materials used to create this design are durable and robust. Some of the groups of people that will find this product ideal for their every day or occasional use are hunters, soldiers, hikers, and campers among others. The 5P series from this manufacturer comes in an array of colors.
- Length – the total length of this product is eleven inches. Out of the eleven, the blade takes up five point two five inches. This size makes this knife multi-purpose, hence ideal for different outdoor activities.
- Handle – it is Micarta with a design that makes gripping easy and steady. The type of weather condition does not affect the quality of grip that one will get from the handle of this knife.
- Sheath – the knife comes with a Kydex sheath. It is not only strong and durable but efficient as well.
- Weight – this product weights thirteen point six ounces. This mass makes it impeccable for hunters and other people who indulge in outdoor activities.
- Blade – it is made of 1095 steel with a thickness of point two five inches and a width of one point five-six inches. The blade’s finishing is color black and made of powder coat.
13. Havalon Piranta-Edge Blaze Orange Handle 12 Additional Crazy Sharp Blades
Having a variety of blades that one can switch around is a great addition for hunters and other groups of outdoor enthusiasts as well. Havalon is a company known in the knife production business for their innovative ideas. The Piranta edge blaze with an orange handle is among innovations from this company that are practical and handy in different situations. This particular knife allows users to swap replaceable blades concerning what they want to use it for. Multiple reviews from users of this knife indicate that it is useful for skinning of animals among many other uses.
- Blade – stainless steel is the material used to design the twelve 60A blades that this product has. The edges are replaceable.
- Handle – the orange handle of this knife is replaceable and easy to find. Rubber inlay, a clip, and liner lock make up the design. Other than the rubber inlay, the handle is hard plastic. A comfortable grip is among the top pros that the handle of the Piranta has to offer.
- Length – the knife is seven point two five inches when open.
- Holster – a nylon one that comes with the knife. It has a removable clip, which, when attached makes it easy to carry.
- Ambidexterity – the design of this knife allows left and right-handed people to enjoy using it. This quality makes it stand out among other knives of this nature that are not ambidextrous.
14. Benchmade – Hidden Canyon Hunter 15016
- BUILT FOR THE HUNT: Simplicity and style meets unmatched function, no...
- AMERICAN MADE CPM-S30V STEEL: For first-rate edge retention and corrosion...
- STABILIZED WOOD HANDLE: Is made from a durable composite material that's...
Benchmade Knife Company is the creator of the compact Hidden Canyon Hunter. This product is the best Benchmade hunting knife that one will find in stores. A lifetime warranty comes with the knife, but it does not cover loss, wear, and tear, among other damages. Reading through the terms and conditions of the warranty is essential before purchase or when claiming compensation.
- Blade – the design of the edge makes it ideal for skinning animals and meat removal. It is six point seven eight centimeters. The thickness is three point five six millimeters. The material of the blade is American made steel. The drop point design with the wide bade radius are among qualities that make this knife the best in the hunting realm.
- Weight – this product is lightweight. It weighs six point eight ounces. This feature, coupled with the slim fit makes it’s a good knife for hunters.
- Handle – the handle is made using wood made of composite material and backfilled with resin. The handle has a thickness of fourteen point seven three millimeters.
- Sheath – ease of access when using this knife is made possible by the leather sheath with a hook loop. A lanyard hole is an additional feature that increases the number of carrying options for users of this knife.
- Length – the dimensions of the knife are two point two by ten point six by point four inches. The size allows users to pack the knife in different storage options more so when traveling.
15. ESEE ESLSP-BRK Laser Strike
- Black Textured powder coating on blade
- 1095 carbon steel
- Canvas MI carta handles
ESEE is a company that assures its consumers of quality products. The ESLSP-BRK laser strike is a knife that most people, especially hunters will find useful. It has a design that gives users a chance to use it for an array of activities. The full tang construction of this knife offers stability and strength to the user. The quality of materials used to produce the knife alongside the expertise is top-notch. As a survival knife this model incorporates a kit to start fire in the handle.
- Blade – the knife comes with a sharp five-inch edge. The raw material used to make it is carbon steel. Important to note is that the type of material used to make the blade requires adequate care for the knife to last longer.
- Handle – it is of canvas micarta that has been laminated. The surface has a woven design to allow for good grip even when it rains. A lanyard hole on the hole will enable users to hook this product to the belt.
- Sheath – the one that comes with this model is made of Kydex. A belt clip made of steel is part of the sheath. It allows users to hook this on quickly. The clip is on a paddle that is removable.
- Weight – this model from ESEE weighs sixteen ounces.
- Dimensions – the knife is five by five by five inches.
16. Gerber Strong-arm Fixed Blade Coyote Brown FE 30-001058
- The StrongArm features a coyote brown handle and fine edge, full tang 420HC...
- Ceramic blade coating and rubberized diamond texture grip
- A striking pommel at the base of the handle breaks through hard surfaces
A product of the Gerber Company, the strong arm fixed blade knife is among those that experts from different sectors recognize. It is a full tang knife that offers users a chance to carry out heavy-duty tasks without fear that the knife will bend or break. Stability is also another critical element that the full tang allows for.
- Handle – the handle is made using glass which has nylon reinforcement. Rubber is another material that the handle has. It is used to enhance grip. A diamond pattern is the last layer on the handle.
- Mass – this knife weighs fourteen point four ounces. This heaviness is ideal for an array of uses.
- Dimension – the measurements of the knife are three by five-point five by sixteen inches.
- Blade – it is made of 420 HC steel that is stainless. Rust and reflections are kept away by the black matte ceramic coating. The tang of the blade goes all the way to the outside of the handle. The part can be used to perform other tasks that the user finds it relevant.
- Sheath – a strong-arm is a feature that the sheath of this knife has. It makes carrying of the knife around easier.
Before buying a knife, one ought to be aware of the various features to look out for. Multiple products in the market that fit in the same category. To get the best deer hunting knife, for instance, one has to ensure that they understand the dynamics around the same. Some of the factors that one should have in mind when buying a hunting knife are;
There is an assortment of hunting knives in the market, each with a different function. It narrowing down the type of hunting they are interested in before settling on gear is an essential step. Animals in a particular jurisdiction also dictate the kind of knife that will be useful for one’s expedition. Some of the hunting knives available in the market can be used for more than one purpose. Gutting, skinning, deboning, butchering, and caping are among hunting activities that have knives designed to handle them. Instead of carrying an array of hunting knives with different uses, it is advisable for one to get one that serves most of their needs.
Additionally, it is advisable to list down all the uses that one will require the knife for. This, in turn, informs the type of sheath that they would want their knife to have. Sheaths like all other parts of a knife are made of different materials. The ease of carrying a knife around I made possible by a sheath, therefore, making it an important consideration to have.
The size of the knife should be proportional to the task at hand. Smaller and lightweight knives are suitable for hunting and skinning small animals while bigger ones are better for significant organisms.
- Pick the correct handle type
Hunting knife handles vary in terms of the material used the texture of the surface, and the functionality. Usability and functionality are the concerns that everyone should check out for. Although appearance is something that one would want to consider, it is not a necessity. Bamboo, bone, leather, and wood are the common materials that one will find as handles of most hunting knives. Cleaning of the knife and the frequency of the same is something that one has to think about before acquisition. Plastic handles are the easiest to clean and dry.
- Get to know the design of the blade
There are various types of blade designs that one will come across when shopping. The differences are many, and one ought to know which model best suits their needs. Some blades are full tang while others are three-quarter tang. Full tang blades offer better stability and strength.
Blade types include the drop point which is appropriate for hunting and skinning large animals. The skinning blade, as the name suggests is used for separating skin from the meat. Buying this specialized type of blade helps one save on resources such as time when skinning their hunt. The clip point blade plays multiple roles. Its uses include skinning and cutting of ribs, etc. The blade is more pointed, thinner, and flatter than the drop point one.
Before going to shop for a knife, one should have a budget in mind. Good quality hunting knives from the best manufacturers are not cheap. One should ensure that they identify a knife that is within the confines of their budget.
Reviews on the World Wide Web are crucial as they give buyers a chance to know more about the product from another person’s point of view. A decision on which manufacturer to buy from as well as the retailer is a must choose after thorough considerations.
How to Sharpen a Hunting Knife
A hunting knife should always be sharp. One ought to be cautious on the sharpeners to use. Honing angles and the type of grind that one has to use are among considerations necessary before the actual sharpening begins. The options available for sharpening tools are numerous. One should find one that is compatible with their knife and is ideal for their needs. Some of the common whetstones available are; quick sharpeners, oil, Japanese, and ceramic stones among many others.
Oils stones come in two types; the coarse grit one for completely dull knives, and the excellent gritstone for knives that are sharp but need polishing. The Japanese whetstone is made of silica and clay. It requires one to soak it before use for great results. Water must be used for lubrication during sharpening as well. Ceramic stones are built using a rod and bonded ceramics. The quick sharpeners are ideal for carrying around. They are easy to use but mostly work for sharp knives that require polishing. It is common for kitchen use but also very handy when out in the woods hunting. One ought to be careful on the direction they run the blade during sharpening.
How to Care for a Hunting Knife
Taking proper care of a hunting knife is paramount as it ensures that the knife is useful for a long time. Knowing the type of knife in one’s possession is the first step in ensuring that a knife is well taken care of. Some of the tips that one should always have in mind when using and storing the hunting knife include;
- Stick to the purpose of the knife in the case of specialty knives. Do not force a knife to perform a duty that it is not designed for as it could cause permanent damage
- Sharpen the knife before use. This action is essential as it helps cut down the amount of pressure that one will exert on it during use
- Cleaning the knife after use is vital in the care of a hunting knife. Strong cleaning detergents and tools are not appropriate for cleaning hunting knives/. Using salt and vinegar to remove tough stains is advisable. Soapy water should be used to clean the knife. After that, a soft cloth should be used to dry the blade.
- After cleaning, the knife should be put away in its sheath; preferably a nylon one.
- Oiling is also necessary from time to time.
FAQ’s: Frequently ASK Question About Hunting Knife
1. Is a full tang knife ideal for hunting?
Yes. Full tang knives offer stability and strength that three quarter and other sizes of tangs available in the market will not provide. Chances of folding are cut down significantly when one goes for a full tang knife. Weight distribution is also proportional in a knife with this type of tang making it ideal for the tedious hunting activities.
2. What material is suitable for a hunting knife?
Hunting knives are made of different materials. It is essential, therefore, to think about the different parts of a knife and breakdown the appropriate material for each. For the blade, stainless steel is ideal for hunting. This is because it is not affected by moisture and dirt. The other forms of iron are also functional but with certain demerits that may be limiting in specific scenarios. For the handle, material should be chosen with the purpose of the knife in mind. The significant quality to look out for here is a secure grip. The sheath should be able to keep the knife away from dirt and moisture and also provide an easy way to carry it.
3. Which stores are the best for purchasing hunting knives?
Land-based retailers for major brands are the first option. Online shopping is the other option. When shopping online, it is advisable to buy from leading retailers like Amazon. Also, shipping and its cost should be available.
4. Is there one knife that caters for all hunting needs?
No. most hunting knives are multi-purpose but cannot fulfill all the hunting needs. The purpose and type of animals that one is after should inform the decision in which knife to buy to cater to most of the essentials at a given time.
5. Are folding knives the best for hunting?
The features of a particular knife determine whether it is fit for hunting. Not all folding knives are suitable for hunting, but one with the correct features fit for the task is.
Identifying the best companies in the knife making business is essential if one is to get the best in the market. Knowing their logos and signage is also important to ensure that one gets a legitimate product. Recommendations from other hunters is a good place to start when looking to buy a new knife to add to the collection.